Tuesday, October 25, 2011

ULUM SMT GANJIL 2010-2012

Bacaan untuk soal nomor 1 sampai dengan 3

The Jackson Family

Mr. Jackson is an American teacher, but he lives and works in Denpasar. He teaches English at SMP 8. He is a very good teacher. His students like him.

His wife is an Indonesian. She comes from Medan. They have one son and one

daughter. The children go to a primary school.

Mr. Jackson’s house is made of wood. It has five rooms : a kitchen, a bathroom, a living room and two bedrooms. The Jacksons has a house maid to help Mrs. Jackson to do the house work. The maid comes from Bantul.


1. What does Mr. Jackson do?

He is ....

a. a father

b. a teacher

c. a student

d. a house maid

2. Where do the Jacksons stay?

a. In Denpasar

b. In Bantul

c. In Medan

d. In America

3. “She comes from Medan.” (line 3)

The underlined word refers to Mr. Jackson’s ....

a. teacher

b. daughter

c. student

d. wife

4. Edo : ..., sir. I come late.

Teacher : That’s all right. Go to your seat.

a. Let me explain

b. I’m sorry

c. I’m happy

d. Sorry to trouble you

5. Reza : I’ve got a problem with my computer. ... you repair it?

Rudy : Yes, but have you brought it to a computer technician before?

Reza : Not yet.

Rudy : Bring your computer here and I will check it.

a. Will

b. Shall

c. Can

d. Must

6. Egis : By the way, can I buy a nice dress in Bandung?

Nadila : Of course … some outlets in Bandung which offer many kinds of beautiful clothes.

Egis : Really? I can’t wait to go there.

a. There is

b. There are

c. They are

d. Those are

7. Susanti : Can I have some apples, please?

Salesman : … do you want?

Susanti : The Australian ones, please!

a. How many

b. How many

c. Which

d. What

8. Dessi : How often do you swim a week?

Windi : Actually twice. But last week I only ... once, because I prepared myself for the

exams.

a. swim

b. swam

c. will swim

d. have swum

9. Rita : Mom, I would like to make an omelette.

What ingredients do I need to prepare?

Mother : Prepare two or three eggs, five ... of onion, a little salt, a little chilli, and some

coconut oil.

a. sheets

b. slices

c. packs

d. sacks

10. Intan : Mom, can I go to the zoo next Sunday?

Mother : I’m afraid you can’t. We ... your grandmother next Sunday.

a. visit

b. visited

c. have visited

d. are going to visit

11. Mr. Blake : Is there a hotel around here?

Tono : Yes, there is. It’s Mawar Hotel.

Mr. Blake : ... is it from here?

Tono : Just 2 blocks.

a. How far

b. How near

c. How distant

d. How fast

12. Novi : Can I go to the movie with my friends?

Mother : ..., but go home directly after the movie.

Novi : I will. Thanks, Mom.

a. Yes, certainly

b. I’m afraid not

c. I don’t think so

d. I’m afraid you can’t

Going to the Beach

Last week Mr. Hasan, his wife and his children had picnic. They went to Sanur and Kuta beach. They left by car at four o’clock in the afternoon. Mr. Hasan drove carefully. They came at Sanur at six in the evening, then they went to a motel near the beach. They spent the night there.

The next day they went to the beach on foot because the motel is not more than a kilometer from the beach. They started early in the morning because they wanted to see the rising sun. After the sun rose, they enjoyed other activities. Mr. Hasan and his wife looked at paintings in small gallery. Their children, Anto and Dewi enjoyed a boat ride. They were glad because they have never done it before. At ten o,clock they went to the motel. They stayed and had lunch there.

At four in the afternoon, they started to go to Kuta beach. They went by car. Then they walked along the seashore. They saw some foreign tourist activities. Some of them lay on the sand, some had massage, some others rode motorcycles, and still others were surfing. Anto and Dewi enjoyed walking along the beach very much, they also played in the water and had a swim. They spend two hours in Kuta beach.

13. How long did Mr. Hasan take to drive to Sanur?

a. two hours c. an hours

b. three hours d. a half and an hour

14. “They stayed and had lunch there”. (paragraph two). The word “there” replaces….

a. the car c. Sanur

b. the motel d. Sanur beach

15. How did they go to Sanur beach? They went there….

a. on foot c. by bus

b. by car d. by boat

16. What did Mr. and Mrs. Hasan do at Sanur beach?

a. They walked along the beach c. They looked at the painting

b. They had lunch there d. They enjoyed a boat ride

17. Which statement is false according to the text?

a. There are four persons in Mr. Hasan’s family.

b. They went to Sanur beach on foot.

c. They went to Kuta beach on foot.

d. They went to Sanur beach early in the morning.

Text 2.

At The Zoo

The third year students of SMP Al-Azhar went on picnic on the 23rd October last year . They went to the museum, they went to the zoo. The students got some explanation from their teacher before entering it. The teacher distributed the tickets to them. They had to show the tickets to the guard, then they entered one by one.

Ali, Umar and I are always in one group. First, we visited the elephant. There were four elephants in the cage. I threw some peanuts to monkeys. Then we went to see the lions, the tigers, the crocodiles, the snakes and the other animals.

We were in the zoos for two hours. Before leaving the zoo, we noted down what had observed. All of the students were very busy with their tasks. They had to make a report about thirty minutes. Then they went out, and had their lunch together outside the zoo.

18. What did the students do before they leave the zoo?

a. they noted down that they had observed

b. they were very busy

c. they had lunch together

d. they visited the elephant

19. How long did the students stay in the zoo?

a. an hour c. at two o’clock

b. two hours d. four hours

20. What did the students do before they entered the zoo?

a. they had to show the tickets to the guard

b. they had to distribute the tickets

c. they had to eat breakfast first

d. they had to take a rest first

21. The pronoun “we” in the second paragraph refers to….

a. Ali and Umar c. Umar and the writer

b. Ali, Umar and the writer d. the students

22. What object did the students visit first?

a. the museum c. the elephants

b. the zoo d. the monkeys

23. Andari : What’s the name of that flower?

Mulyani : I don’t know for certain. I think it’s a rose.

Andari : No, I don’t think so. Roses have thorns.

Mulyani : Perhaps it’s a hibiscus.

Andari : You are ... right. It looks like a hibiscus to me.

a. probably

b. certainly

c. really not

d. probably not

24. Winarsih : Oh, that rose is very nice. May I touch it?

Halim : ... It has very sharp thorns.

Winarsih : Really? I’ll see it.

a. I rather doubt that.

b. You are kidding.

c. Be careful.

d. Maybe.

25. Teacher : There are some rules to obey in a conservation.

You cannot pick anything in it.

Students : What about catching the animals.

Teacher : You ....

a. can do that too

b. cannot do it either

c. have to do it

d. you may do it

26. X : Why should we reduce the use of freon?

Y : Well, you know that freon ... the hole in our ozon layer bigger and bigger.

a. will make

b. has made

c. is making

d. made

27. X : I want to take my pill.

...

Y : Sure! A minute, please.

a. Do you want some?

b. Can you get me a glass of water, please?

c. Can you take me to the doctor, please?

d. Will you buy it for me, please?

28. Anton : What kind of clothes do you like to wear on your birthday party?

Anita : Traditional clothes.

Anton : Traditional clothes?

Anita : Yeah, I ... ask the dressmaker to get it ready next week.

a. can

b. will

c. must

d. may

29. Utomo : I think this shirt needs ironing.

Rika : No, I … it. Touch it. It’s still warm.

a. iron

b. will iron

c. am ironing

d. have ironed

30. Sarwono : I think we can find the motel easily next week.

Cahyono : … You know next week is the beginning of the holiday.

Eko : So, we’d better book the motel now.

Cahyono : That’s a good idea.

a. I’m quite sure you can.

b. I have no doubt.

c. I’m absolutely certain.

d. I doubt that.

Last week the girl scouts and the boy scouts had a "Persami" activity outside their school. They left for the woods at five in the morning. After a long drive they…(18) at the woods found a good camping site. "Let's set up our tents here," said the leader. Then they…(19) to work. They needed two poles, some ropes, and nails for each tent. In a short time the tents were ready and they put a small…(20) on the top of each tent.

18.

  1. went
  2. left
  3. landed
  4. arrived

19.

  1. start
  2. started
  3. stop
  4. stopped

20.

  1. flag
  2. box
  3. paper
  4. cloth

No comments: